USE OF MOBILE PHONES AND PERSONAL CAMERAS
The welfare, protection and safety of every child in our care is of paramount importance, we take our responsibility to safeguard children seriously. We have procedures in place which we ask everyone to respect and to help promote the safety of the children in our care.
Truly Scrumptious E Y Nursery has a no use of mobile phones policy whilst caring for children. It is our intention to provide an environment in which children, parents and staff are safe from images being recorded and inappropriately used in turn eliminating the concern of staff being distracted from their work with children and the inappropriate use of mobile phone cameras around children.
We believe our staff should be completely attentive during their working hours to ensure all children in the nursery receive good quality care and education. Mobile phones must not be used during working hours. Staff are permitted to keep their phones switched on in case of urgent calls, but they will be kept either in the staff room or office, away from children and must be on silent.
Under no circumstances does the nursery allow a member of staff to contact a parent/carer using their personal device. Users bringing personal devices into nursery must ensure there is no inappropriate or illegal content on the device. All staff must ensure their mobile phones are put in the secure box inside the nursery and ensure they have signed the phone in/out. Each time they use their mobile it is recorded. All staffs personal possessions are either in the office, signed in or in the locked back room.
The use of mobile phones are in staff breaks or in staff members own time in the designated (child free) staff area.
It is the responsibility of all members of staff to be vigilant and to report any concerns to the nursery manager. (See whistleblowing policy)
All urgent calls are to be taken from the main line, however if any staff member has a family emergency or similar, their mobile will be kept in the office and they will be called to take a call. Prior permission must be sought from the manager or deputy.
During group outings a nominated staff member will take the nursery’s mobile phone out with them in case of emergency.They are only used for emergency calls and incoming calls from the nursery, under no circumstances must a member of staff take a personal call whilst caring for children. It is the responsibility of all staff members to be vigilant and report any concerns to the Nursery Manager or Deputy Manager.
The manager or deputy manager reserves the right to check the image contents of a member of staffs mobile phone should there be any cause for concern over inappropriate use of it. Should inappropriate material be found then our Local Authority Designated Office (LADO) will be contacted immediately, as will the police. Guidance will be followed with regards to the dismissal of the staff member.
Parents & Visitors
Parents or visitors who either arrive using a mobile phone or take a call on a mobile should be immediately told to end their phone call or leave the premises. There are No Mobile Phone signs in and around the nursery, Visitors are signed into the nursery and asked to leave their personal belongings and mobile phones in the office area.
CAMERAS & CAPTURING IMAGES
Photographs taken for the purpose of recording a child or group of children participating in activities or celebrating their achievements is an effective form or recording their progression in the Early Years Foundation Stage. Â We ask all parents to sign a permission form for this purpose. However, it is essential that photographs are taken and stored appropriately to safeguard the children in our care. Photographs of children will be taken on the nurserys iPad and used for observations, displays or printed for children’s learning journals. We are registered with the Information Commissioners Office under the Data Protection Law.
- Only the designated nursery camera/nursery ipads are to be used to take any photo within the setting or on outings.
- Images taken on this camera must be deemed suitable without putting the child/children in any compromising positions that could cause embarrassment or distress.
- All staff are responsible for the location of the camera; this should be placed within the lockable office when not in use.
- The camera must be locked away at the end of every session.
- Images taken and stored on the camera must be downloaded as soon as possible, ideally once a week.
- Parental permission is obtained from the parent/carer on joining the setting to the use of photographs in the setting.
- Photos taken on nursery cameras/ipads can be uploaded to our closed parents only facebook. This will only occur when we have obtained all of the parents permission. Any child whose parent who has not signed the permission form for photos on social media will not have their photo uploaded.
- Photos of children will only be shared with parents, no other children will be present in photographs.
- At gatherings, such as sports day, Christmas parties and shows we will always ask parents if they object to photographs being taken and also remind them all not to upload them to social media if they contain images of someone elses child.
- We will not upload any photographs of children’s faces or their identities on any social media.
This policy is in place to protect and safeguard both children and staff.
THIS POLICY WAS REVIEWED BY Patricia Trew October 2017