SMOKING, DRINKING AND DRUGS POLICY
Smoking, Drinking & Drugs Policy
Truly Scrumptious Nurseries are fully committed to promoting the health and well-being of children, families, employees, and other visitors to the nursery. We do not condone the misuse of drugs, including alcohol, or smoking. It is our policy that the use of alcohol, illegal drugs or tobacco is prohibited/ forbidden in all areas of the nursery, including the garden, entrance, and immediate encompassing areas (building, carpark, grounds etc)
This policy is informed by the following legislation:
- UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- The Children Act 1989/ 2004
- The Medicines Act 1968
- The Misuse of Drug Act 1971
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH)
This policy aims to include the following aspects:
- To protect the physical, psychological, and emotional well-being of all children using the Nursery, their families, and staff
- To protect children, parents, and staff wherever possible from second-hand smoke
- To provide a clear message to all parents/carers, staff, volunteers, and visitors using the nursery about our policies on smoking, illegal drugs, and alcohol
- To provide appropriate support to any child thought to be at risk
- To follow the law around smoking, illegal drugs, and alcohol
Smoking including e cigarettes and vapes
Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the premises (including the garden area). We do not offer smoking breaks, if staff wish to have a cigarette on their unpaid break, they must do so offsite and not on nursery grounds. We also ask that staff cover or remove their uniform and ensure they do not have contact with children upon returning to the nursery until they have thoroughly washed their hands and ensure no smoke odour remains on their clothes. These measures will be closely monitored by management.
Any staff member who appears to be under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, will be asked to leave the premises immediately. Where necessary disciplinary procedures will begin. If there are serious concerns about a staff member use of drugs or alcohol outside of their working hours, we will review the impact In line with the nursery’s safeguarding and promoting children’s welfare policy.
Under no circumstances will any person be allowed onto the premises under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
Prescription and over the counter medicines must not be kept anywhere near children. They are too be locked away in the medication cabinet located in the office. It is the responsibility of the person to whom the medication belongs, to ensure the medication is stored correctly, far away from children.
Misuse of prescription drugs and over the counter drugs, including legal highs is also prohibited at any time. Any staff in breach of this policy will be subject to discipline procedures.
Policy reviewed Brittany V – Nursery Manager – 20/04/2023